Monday, July 8, 2013

New beginnings


Welcome to my first blog post!! I'm so excited to share my journey with you.


We recently moved into our very first home, what an exciting time it has been (excuse photos of unpacked boxes....)! It's small, BUT it's OURS and we LOVE it!

Our kitchen is rather smallish and I'm used to a bit more space, so I got the husband to get some quotes for build-in cupboards around our refrigerator - guy quoted us R 15 000!!! Whaaat? (That's like $1500) for one narrow cupboard...! So as we unpacked our furniture (it was in storage for more than 6 months) we rediscovered (how can one forget ones own possessions?!) a cupboard we bought for R300 (roughly $30). It's sturdy, but so not pretty.


I was desperately waiting for Annie Sloan Chalk Paint™ to arrive in South Africa and it would have been PERFECT on this cupboard, but it would only arrive the next week and I could not wait (read: too lazy to sand and prime)... Sooo, I DIY'ed it. Recipes for DIY chalk paint are all over the place, but here's what I used...


I dissolved the Plaster of Paris in a few tablespoons of water and just give it a good stir and your'e good to go. I know a few other recipes uses Latex paint, well I used Acrylic and as I really had nothing to compare it with, I thought it worked just fine...

I painted four coats (the grain was quite prominent) and it looked fabulous!!! I bought some new hardware and I'm totally in love with my new 'pantry'.

To end things off today, here is a photo of our unfinished kitchen with my 'new' cupboard.


Please comment if you have tips/ideas for DIY chalk paint.

Hope I'll see you soon!

 

 

Ps...I'm linking to Our Delightful Home, Dukes and Duchesses, Not Just a Housewife, Ladybug Blessings, Coastal Charm, BlackberryvineTwigg Studios and  DIY Home Sweet Home. Come join in the fun!!

   
  AtoZebra_LinkParty_Button_180x180    homeworkSmart School House





lil'luna_linking_up_button_2012_09_25       Link party every Wednesday over at the36thavenue.com   Southern Lovely
The Dedicated HouseLinkyPartyButton
HookingupwithHoH  Shine on Friday  All Our Days  ThePinJunkie   PIN MEme  Link-Party-Button  Too Much Time On My Hands    Here's to Handy Andy      

{nifty button}  Who Needs a Cape?  Linky  

17 comments:

  1. I need to do this to my extra pantry in the kitchen. Adding to my to-list.

    visiting you from Coastal Charm, Jeanie - the tupperware chic www.my2.tupperware.com/thetupperwarechic
    www.facebook.com/groups/thetupperwarechic
    www.thetupperwarechic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great!
    I just used Annie Sloan for the 1st time on a large dresser in my master bedroom.
    I LOVED It, but it is a bit spendy.
    Have you ever used Annie Sloan? If so how does it compare to your homemade version?
    Here is a link to my blog and my project:

    http://house-of-views.blogspot.com/2013/07/house-view-gonna-dresser-you-up-in-my.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenifer,
      I only DIY'ed because I was waiting for the Annie Sloan :-). I did a few pieces now with the Annie Sloan and I love it! Check back for posts on that.
      The consistency is quite the same, but the drying time of Annie Sloan is much shorter. Overall I would ALWAYS choose the Annie Sloan, but I think the DIY version is a budget friendly option if you cannot afford AS.

      Delete
  3. Charindie! Welcome to blogland!! Great first post and fantastic makeover of your cabinet! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world. I would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party which is still live. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-57.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathryn
    Thanks so much :-) I linked up! And so happy I found your blog.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to do chalkboard paint on the kitchen cabinets because they are old and used and well ugly now after 8 years, plus the time they were here before us. I'm afraid it might be too much for our smallish kitchen (the dining section is in there, too). This looks awesome, though. And my being cheap would opt for the DIY mix. It takes me forever to decide on colors, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I love about the DIY ChalkPaint is that you can choose ANY color of paint and make it. Good luck and thanks for the visit :-)

      Delete
  6. I think you did a fabulous job! And I love that shade of red (it looks like my front door!). I've been wanting to try chalk paint, but other projects keep getting in my way - I'm hoping to get to it this fall. And thanks for nothing that Annie Sloan drying time is shorter - I think I'll go that route rather than making my own (but it's good to know you can make your own if you need to)!

    Kim @ {enjoy the view}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I LOVE Annie Sloan's paint, if it's in your budget I'll recommend that. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous solution to your pantry problem! Looks great, saved a ton of money...what's not to like? =D

    Visiting from Allyson's All Our Days link-up...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its absolutely lovely! I especially like the bold red you chose. When we bought our first home I sanded and restained all the kitchen cabinets...it was soooooooooooo much work. I wish I'd gone with paint...would have saved me a year and a half of work. Think I'll try the chalk paint out on the bathroom cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your new blog! Your cupboard looks fantastic ... I love the color. I use DIY chalk-finish paint all the time {I'm a cheapskate} and I think it turns out great. Thanks so much for linking up to Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red is my favorite decorating color~ especially in the kitchen! I think you did an amazing job and saved yourself a TON of money! I can't wait to see what else you have planned! Congrats on your new home and your new blog! :) Kim @ Exquisitely Unremarkable

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to blogging! You have a great project there. Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me Linky Party! You've got a lot of comments here, but you might get even more if you turn off word verification. I have lots of good blogging tips here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much Diana! I turned it off :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cabinet looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...